Friday, August 21, 2009

Bikram(hot) Yoga Experience

by MelissaBrooklyn

Bikram yoga is an amazing way to get an overall workout. Flexibility, strength, muscle development and mental health are all by-products of this workout.

I recently started doing Bikram and I love it. I have been a gym rat for years. I would weight train for an hour a day and run 3-5 miles and in a year I lost 35 pounds. That's not a whole lot considering I was spending between 1.5-2 hours at the gym 5 days a week.

In my first week of doing Bikram, I lost 2 lbs (4 sessions), I found emotional and mental clarity for the first time and I found myself truly challenged. Just by being in the room you are challenging yourself. Once you incorporate the poses you begin to physically challenge yourself.

Based on the tourniquet theory; increased temperature creates a higher heart rate therefore creating higher oxegenated blood. By cutting off circulation to one part of the body and releasing the pose you are allowing more oxygen to the body and detoxifying amongst other benefits.

I definitely think it is important to change up your workout out every 6-8 weeks, so I wouldn't say doing Bikram every day forever is the way to go, but try it for a week and see what happens.

Many of the studios (in NYC any way) offer an intro week for the price of one class so you can go as much as you want in that first week. Some offer intro months that are up to 50% less than usual.

There is also something called the 30 day challenge that offers a free month after completing 30 consecutive days (serious commitment!). Finally, some offer work study; you work a few hours and can go to yoga as much as you want.

For me, its about a commitment to myself. Don't go out on Friday night and spend $60 on booze; that's 3 classes. Make choices that benefit you and you can afford it.

I did camel pose for the first time yesterday. I have spinal degeneration. I was told by the doctors that I would be crippled by the time I'm 40. I'm 28 and I'm bending in ways I have never before been able to. For me, that's worth new clothes and fancy dinners.