Saturday, December 5, 2009

yoga starting out

Question:
Hi, due to recommendation of a friend I decided to start some kind of yoga, (or at least looking at my options). However I can't really find what suits me best, some research reveald that VAMACARA TANTRA would be a good alternative, however I can't really find many resources on it.

Tantra seems as a different alternative however it is not exactly what i am seeking.

What I am specifically looking for is a form of yoga, with it's own excerses and meditation techniques that would teach me how to communicate with my body better, controll my emotions, as well as some of the physical aspects. Where through deep meditation and excersises you can learn about your body.

Right now my mind and the rest of my body are IN the same "entity", which is my body, however I want it to BE one entity. To achieve full physical and mental balance, and equlibrium.

Any seggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

Answer:


There are many styles of hatha yoga available. Some classes offer instruction also in yogic practices of pranayama (breathing techniques) and meditation. Some classes are primarily focused on the physical body, others are more mind/body/stress reduction while still others are more spiritually focused. Further, the personality of the instructor, and your own personality are factors in finding a teacher/student relationship which you are comfortable with. I would certainly recommend that you do a little "homework" about yoga styles available, and shop around to see if there is a teacher who is offering the atmosphere and focus which suit you.

Your inquiry reflects a committment to meditation and deeper awareness. I would personally recommend that you find a teacher who can give individual sessions in addition to the group classes in which your personal goals can be addressed.

Other styles of yoga which I personally have experienced and enjoyed include: Kripalu yoga & Viniyoga. Best of luck in your search for a yoga teacher, and remember that the One for whom you search is searching for you! Follow your heart!