Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Astral Projection

Question
Have you ever heard of meditation or astral projection bringing on permanent hallucinations or atypical schizophrenia?


Answer
Hi, John.



I don't know that I've heard of this.  I remember a situation where a person with manic depression went into a long manic period after a retreat.



I don't have any expert advice but common sense would say that if you do have a mental condition, even if you are on medication, that it would be good to work with your doctor if you think you are developing these problems.



I don't know if you are asking about yourself, someone else, or just in theory.



I have a feeling that the less one is trying to manipulate the mind, the better.  Astral projection sounds like a lot of mental manipulation.  Meditation to me is a space of non-reactive attention or awareness.  This doesn't guarantee that the mind will not freak out.  Open listening allows the mind to begin to be responsive to the real world.  It is a radical change.  I've never seen it cause a permanent problem in a mentally stable person, as far as I know.



I do think that for a person with mental confusion, it could be extremely helpful to explore this space of just being with what is, inside and outside, without immediately reacting.  I'm not sure there would be any dangers in this on a day to day basis, but extended sittings might stir up something and need more supervision.



Please let me know if this doesn't address your question or if it needs some clarification or brings up other questions.



I sometimes quote from things people have written, as it can help others. I don't use real names of course.  If you don't want to be quoted, please let me know.



Best wishes,



Jay Cutts