Saturday, March 6, 2010

metta meditation

Question
Hello! I've tried to meditate before, but I never really practiced regularly, so I didn't have much progress. I am especially interested in the metta meditation (cultivating love), but I don't know whether this is a good type of meditation to start with, should I start with the simple be aware of your breath meditation? Which brings me to another question,when you do the "be aware of the breath" meditation are you just paying attention to your breath or your surroundings as well (ie what you're sitting on, the sounds, etc..)? What's the best way to not get sleepy? Also, I hear varying lengths of time that meditation should be done for daily, what amount of time do you recommend? Also, a practical question, how do you time yourself - looking at the clock every two minutes defeats the whole point, but then is an alarm an appropriate end to a meditation?



Thank you very much for your time


Answer
Katerina, since it sounds like you're just beginning to explore meditation, I would suggest that you start, at the very beginning, to devise a method that works best for you. In actual fact there are many different types of meditation, each representing some person's (or group) philosophy on life.



I think the commonality is, as you've mentioned, the importance of cultivating love. But I think we all have this at our core. So it's just a case of reaching through all those layers that obscure it. Of course, this isn't the romantic love of neediness and attachment (usually called eros). It's the universal love (usually called agape). Sometimes the two intermingle but I think it's the task of a seeker to be acutely aware of that and forever draw the line, especially when others might not be aware of the difference?for whatever reasons.



Anyhow, enough theory. As for practice, again, I would just try whatever works for you. Generally the yogis say you start by focussing on your breath as it works within your body. The outside sounds will be there. Maybe keep focussing on your breath until you gain some perspective on the outside sounds. I don't recommend blotting out the sounds and going into some kind of trance. But just hearing them anew from a peaceful center should be fine. You might gain a different perspective. For instance, traffic sounds outside might start to sound like a 21st century symphony or something...



I wouldn't meditate any longer than you're comfortable with. In fact, you could do it while walking in a park or ravine (a safe one!). That would certainly keep you awake. Many schools speak of ?moving meditation.? Tai Chi is based on this whole premise. Other schools in India suggest that our entire life can be a moving meditation. That is, we're simultaneously keeping an inner eye on the center and our usual eyes on the outside world.



So again, I would suggest just trying out different things, finding your own personal style, and going with what feels right. This might sound a touch vague, but I am very wary of individuals being brainwashed by prefabricated theories and methods! I've seen it happen too often.