Tuesday, March 16, 2010

feeling disconnected

Question
For the past year I've left disconnected or disintegrated as a person. I talk and yet don't feel like I'm talking, I'm living yet don't feel like I'm living. It's like on part of me understands while the other half has no idea whats going on. Of course this isn't all the time but it happens to me periodically throughout the day. I was speaking to a friend who has a depressive personality like mine and he has exactly the same symptoms that I do. Any advice?

any at all would be greatly appreciated.



Yours sincerely.


Answer
Marcus Watts , Thank you for your question.



It sounds to me that you are experiencing what is called "depersonalization". This can be due to a psychiatric condition such as major depression with schizoid features, a medical condition, or can be a natural symptom of spiritual progress.



It is important to rule out a medical or mental health condition. I am not qualified to judge your health. I HIGHLY recommend that you visit a psychiatrist and ask to be examined to determine an accurate diagnosis. If it turns out that you do have a clinical illness, your doctor may prescribe medicine that will help you regain a normal state of functioning.



Once you are healthy, the addition of a practice such as Transcendental Meditation may increase your enjoyment of life.



But the first step is to get yourself checked out.



David Spector