Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Deep breathing exercise

Question
Dear Mike



I'm sorry I could not find any category on this so this is the nearest I could find.



I'll like to know how to do deep breathing or diaphragm breathing as practised by singers, martial arts exponents etc. They say it's good for health and relaxation.



Thanks. Your reply is very much appreciated.



Sincerely



Eddie


Answer
Hi Eddie.. this IS the right category for that question! My own view on breathing is that there are a lot of New Age and also traditional dogmas on the topic which really try to put people in a box rather than allow them to be who they are.



Not that breathing isn't relaxing. It certainly can be. But IMHO there's no "right way"--although some teachers and traditions will try to tell you (and maybe sell you) otherwise.



Having said that, you might try taking a look at this website:



http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/pranayama/home.asp



There are many breathing sites on the web but I find that this one provides the greatest number of alternatives.



Best wishes...