Sunday, March 14, 2010

Meditation Techniques

Question
Sometimes my mind races and I want to quiet things down.  I am looking for some simple and specific meditation method/techniques.



Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.



David




Answer
Hello David.. I would suggest trying some basic yogic postures in combination with yogic breathing. Some self-proclaimed experts say that inhalation must be in and out through the nose. But there are variations. I'll suggest this link because it offers a variety of approaches. Find one that feels right for you--i.e. one that works!



http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/pranayama/home.asp



I would also suggest trying out some music for meditation. There are many different types. This too is a personal preference as to which harmonizes with your individual makeup. Some find that Gregorian chants or choral music have a calming effect, while others prefer the music of Ravi Shankar or Ali Akbar Khan. Still, others prefer more contemporary forms of meditation music. And there are many variations here too.



While I, myself, am appreciating simple silence these days, there was a time when I really needed this kind of music to calm my soul.



This last suggestion might sound a bit crazed, but lately I've found that watching TV can be a form of meditation! Often when I have a lot on my mind I lie comfortably in bed with the lights low and watch whatever comes along. I might flip through the channels every few minutes or so, among several programs, trying to find anything of interest. All the while I am processing whatever thoughts must be processed. Sometimes the TV acts more like a strobe-light than anything else. Often, though, I find that the content of my viewing matches, even symbolically, the thoughts that must be processed. So it all sort of works together.



That may not be for you.. but I just thought I'd mention it as a rather unorthodox form of meditation!



Again, experiment and find what works best for you. I can't stress that enough! If you'd like to follow up, please feel free to do so.