Sunday, March 14, 2010

Meditation as a career

Question
What are your views on meditation as a career? Writing books, teaching others to meditate, or simply creating art etc.. Do you feel there is a sufficient market for such things? How did you turn your meditation into a career oppertunity? And what is the most fulfilling part about meditation as a career?


Answer
Hi Tom!



Hmmm...interesting question - thanks for asking it!



As far as there being a sufficient market, I'll play the Devil's advocate here for a moment and ask YOU, "What would be a large enough market to make YOU comfortable?" :>)



What I personally have found is that:



  a) There IS a market, albeit not one as large as, say, the one for information on how to make a million dollars on eBay!

  

  b) A large part of marketing "soft" ideas such as meditation, taiji, etc. is education. Most consumers need to be educated as to WHAT these services are and WHY they need them. Otherwise, they continue to live their lives in blissful ignorance, until the day that someone like YOU comes along and shows them a better way. If what you provide them does indeed improve their lives, then you have every right to expect financial gain from them.



I've been "successful" (a very individual measure, granted) by incorporating several diverse elements into my career. In other words, I didn't put all my eggs into one basket!



Meditation, taiji, qigong, traditional Chinese medicine, philosophical counseling, self-defense training, writing and publishing on these topics, offering related items for sale in my schools and clinics, lectures, private lessons...all came together to provide a decent living for me. I've been lucky in that I took the time and expense to learn all these arts, and that I've acquired a faithful group of students and clients that see the benefit in what I offer them. But it isn't something that happens overnight - for many, many years, I had to hold onto my day job (and sometimes a night job, too! :>) until the moment for flying was right.



The most fulfilling part of my career - seeing how my actions and words help others to evolve into more peaceful, centered, happy personalities. They often first come to me strung out, unhappy, bitter, and depressed. Through instruction in such techniques as meditation, they often come away greatly changed for the better. THAT is the miracle that I never tire of seeing.



Good luck with your career!