Sunday, March 14, 2010

The sixth sense

Question
How can I know if I have the sixth sense? And is there a way I can develop it?

If by meditation, please explain it in detail.

Thank you




Answer
Hassan.. the way I view it, everybody has this to some degree. Isn't that what we call "insight" or "intuition"?



Some people, however, seem to be given it to a greater degree. I know that for myself, even as a child I could sense the emotional climate of people interacting downstairs while I was upstairs. Of course, I'd listen to the tone of their voices coming up the stairwell, but also, sort of like a cat, I'd "tune in" with an extra focus of attention. I didn't really know I was doing this at the time. I just did it. But looking back I can see that I was engaging in a kind of preliminary "build your intuition" course.



My feeling is that intuition is something that should always be used in accordance with good morals. For me, that means trying to use whatever perceptions I may have for the greater good, and since I am a believer in God, I would frame that as trying to use them FOR God.



Some people try to develop insights for personal or selfish gain. I feel that this is, in the long run, a big mistake.



So my advice to you is to simply try to quiet your mind. Get relaxed, either sitting in a chair, lying down, or even while walking or jogging.. and just listen to what your insides are telling you. This may seem passive. But I think it's the safe way to go.



Feel free to follow up with ideas, suggestions of your own.