Saturday, March 13, 2010

power of meditation

Question
Before I ask, Let it be known that this question is only to settle curiosity. I have ready alot lately about neurochemistry and psych and meditation. Is it possible to "will" yourself into death?. ie: cause your brain to stop or heart to stop through meditation. Intentionally of course. Im not implying that meditation is dangerous. is meditation that powerful? I have read alot about "metaphysical" acts through it, but what is the limit?


Answer
Chris, that is a very interesting question. Off the top of my head, I would have to say that I don't know. But after thinking about it for a few moments, I remember reading of an Indian mystic who went into astral planes but was informed by his guru (already in other worlds) that he had to return because it wasn't the right time yet, and he had more work to do on the earthly plane (so the implication is that he could have left his gross physical body forever). This is how I remember the tale. As to its veracity, this is something which is almost impossible to ascertain. Some Indian masters, however, have developed amazing feats of metabolic control.



Now consider the life of Christ. This may be pushing it a bit, and is not fully consistent with the Catholic view itself, but the depth psychologist Carl Jung's argument about his death was as follows: If Jesus really is "God" as the Catholics say, did he not meditate on his whole life, death, and resurrection prior to taking birth on Earth? (Catholics believe that Jesus has an eternal aspect as part of the Trinity). So God becomes man, to be put to death by others. In a very large picture, God meditated on and created his own bodily death(?)



If you come across anything else could you please let me know? I think the reason I am not too informed on this subject is due to the fact that I have never seen suicide as a solution. I see life as a divine gift and regard any kind of suicide (be it through a physical or meditative act) as a kind of "leaving before school's out"--that is, a cop out.



http://www.ncf.ca/~dy656/earthpages



Thanks!