Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Meditation

Question
Hello Jay, I hope you had a great day yesterday and an even better day today! I have a question for you, Is spiritual guru a part of meditation that makes you go out of your physical body to your spiritual body? Thank you and I hope you can help!


Answer
Hi, Rachel.



As far as I understand a guru is a person who is a teacher.



You mention a physical and a spiritual body.  Let's look more closely here at what you mean when you say physical body. In fact it is a good question to examine when you sit quietly in meditation.



What and where is the phsyical body right now? If I don't just automatically thump my chest and say it's this thing right here, I can start to look more sensitively.  I wonder if in sitting you can find a fresh way to open up and examine moment by moment what you mean by the phsyical body.



As I look right now, typing this, there is a sense of movement, of different sensations in different places, some tightnesses, some loosenesses.  There is also space around and through this, so that there is no observable boundary between "body" and "outside", or even "inside", for that matter.



Now a memory might come up of a severe pain - physical or emotional - and with it a overall tightness or constriction and a sense of nothing but one lump.  But when this lets up, then there is just this changing field of sensation that doesn't seem to be identifiable as a fixed thing.



In reality, when the brain is not interpreting experience in its own terms, there are not separate things. There is just what is experiencable right here, inside and out, and the stillness in which it all appears.  There are not two separate bodies.  So you are free to start to examine more carefully and openly what you really are.



Well, I hope that addresses your question.  If I haven't made sense about something, please write back.  Or if you see things differently or have some comments, I'd be happy to hear from you.



Best,



Jay