Friday, March 5, 2010

COOLING SENSATION

Question
Hi my name is Poh Kian Bin , a Chinese from Malaysia .



My Question ) I practise Insight Meditation. Quite often , after i end my meditation , i feel a cooling sensation in the very inner and centre part of my head . Sometimes , i feel  space expanding in the inner and centre part of my head . I feel comfortable with those feelings but sometimes , i feel a bit discomfort. Are those feelings  positive or negetive signs ?

Thank you very much .


Answer
Hi, in my very humble opinion it's hard to know if this is a good thing or not. Mystics like St. John of the Cross write about entering into contemplative states that aren't necessarily pleasing but, providing they are not entirely disruptive, can have a cleansing and purifying effect on the soul. If you continue to feel discomfort and it starts to become unacceptable, I suggest trying some other kind of practice. In my view, we must adapt to life's changing needs.