Monday, March 1, 2010

Dot Meditation

Question
Hi There! I read about Dot Meditation in a book and have been practicing it for 2 weeks. I've noticed that the vision in my right eye is becoming blurry. The dot is penny sized, black and I sit a foot away from it. The book I read this from told to try not blinking and fully concentrate on the dot. When I do that, the dot appears to have a white light around it. The light then seems to swallow the dot and soon there appears to be two dots instead of one. I want to know if thats normal or am I imagining things. I'm really worried about my eyesight.

Thank you!


Answer
If I were you I'd stop doing that practice right away. It sounds superfluous and if you're worried about your eyesight and if it is, indeed, doing harm to your eyesight then it's not only superfluous but perhaps deleterious.



As for what's happening when you do it, there are all sorts of diagrammatic tricks from pop psychology to Eastern yantras demonstrating that perception is a complex process of bio-psycho-social and even spiritual interpretation. But again, this thing that you're doing sounds unhealthy. IMHO, stop doing it.