Friday, March 5, 2010

My increasing spirituality

Question
Hello. Thank you for answering my question. However, when I think of meditating, i usually picture another level of consciousness. I pray every day, and I want to learn how to bring myself to that level of consciousness to basically interpret what God is trying to tell me. I don't know if I'm making any sense. Thanks

-Steve


Answer
I guess what I'm suggesting is that you try to integrate your spirituality with your everyday life. Of course, there will be moments of contemplation. But if that doesn't make you a better, humbler person, then IMHO it's not worth much. As for interpreting God's will, in theological circles this is one aspect of "discernment." While in rare occasions God mysteriously communicates to individuals (e.g. mystics and saints), in most instances we have to find out the right thing to do through everyday life. Almost all religions talk about unity. We're all connected at some fundamental level, they say. So God's will often comes to us through our interactions with other people, and also through the unpredictable events arising in life. Only very rarely does a mystic or saint get a direct message from God, and in most instances direct revelations must be verified by religious superiors in a Church (or some other religious organization) before they are taken as valid.



I stress the communal aspect of the spiritual life because, IMHO there is so much room for error that it's easy for a person to get on the wrong track. But a "community" doesn't necessarily have to be a club, cloister, monastery or ashram. I believe it can just take the form of honest interaction among caring individuals. By communicating with others about the spiritual life, personal mistakes can be brought to light and, providing the community is caring (and not hostile to the whole idea of spirituality), individuals can reassess their inner, contemplative life in light of their outer, active life.



When I was in undergraduate university an Asian Philosophy professor stressed what he called the "double aperture" approach. This means that a person simultaneously looks to God and to their everyday life. There's no need to dramatically separate the two. In fact, I don't see this as too productive. Even the most achieved saints do menial chores like washing dishes, sweeping floors and so on. It's all part of being humble, which I believe is essential for true spiritual development.



I hope this helps. Please remember that this is just my perspective on life and spirituality. Part of developing as an individual is about forming one's own views, striking one's own balance.