Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Role of colors in meditation

Question
QUESTION: Hello.

I'm now doing research on color symbolism in Buddhist meditation. So my question is "how are the 5 (or 6) basic colors used in Buddhist meditation?"

I learned that Taoism also has the idea of color meditation. By imaging a particular color inside your body and put out the image to the outside, human can "empty" our body so as to realize the Tao.

Since Taoism Buddhism and Confucianism coexist in China, I thought Buddhism might give specific meaning on each color.

ANSWER: I explored the Eastern religions form of Meditation early in my search but I found nothing that I was searching for by denying what I was thinking and more importantly feeling... I wasn't searching to empty myself or to find  some sense of bliss that only had reality in the meditation and had no meaning or application in the outside world...  I now call this form of Meditation.. "denial based."   



If you don't belive what I say.. then look at your statement... "I thought Buddhism might give specific meaning on each color." If you are trying to become "empty" and experience nothing... then how can you possibly hope to find the "specific" meaning of each colour? And does it not seem odd and a contridication, that you need to have "something" like colour to achieve a form of "nothingness"...



You don't have to follow any specific path to learn how to meditate, or how to feel what colour can do for you ... and also what it can't do for you...



Not to burst your bubble, but research... without applied personal experience is based on hear-say and assumptions and has no real meaning for you... And if it has no meaning or significance to you.. then what meaning and significance do you think and feel it will have on others?  



Regards

Reed



---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------



QUESTION: Thank you for your reply.



I do understand your argument, but I learned that Taoism do use colors to "empty" oneself in reality. By imagining color, they take out needless stuff from body that prevent one from uniting with the Tao. In Taoism, "empty" is regarded as bottomless pot. here "bottomless" means that being filled with so many things that one cannot see its bottom.

Anyway, what I thought interesting was that they make a connection among specific colors, nature, part of body, universe, direction and so on to help meditating, even though their goal of meditation is to empty oneself and realize the oneness with Tao, nature, or universe.


Answer
Hi Haruna,



In understanding the unseen role that denial plays in meditation you need to be aware of the blatant contradictions present... How can you empty yourself of your "needless stuff" yet unite you with the oneness of the Tao, nature, or universe." How can there be "oneness" and yet separation of oneself from that which is deemed needless stuff?  



I assume that if this Tao and the so-called bottomless pot is truly loving and connected to everything.. then it also has room for the "needless stuff".... as who is to judge what is needed and what is not?



"Food for thought"



Reed