Tuesday, March 2, 2010

zen

Question
Hello Mr. Jay!



I'd like to start practicing zen meditation. I know what posture should I take to do this, but I'd like to ask you what should I focus on when already doing this. What's most important when you're trying to meditate: breathing, being relaxed etc. What's most important, how to do it in the right way. Could you give me any directions?

Also:

Some martial artist described his experience in this way:



It was the last exercise, and I thought if I hadn't gotten it in fourteen days what difference could this one exercise make? So, I was just enjoying myself. For some reason, I decided to go up out the top of my head a distance that felt like several feet above me. It felt like I would go up there and meet my diad partner, Neil, like we joined up there. And then, quite to my surprise, I had an experience of what the Zen people call the Void. That of Absolute Existence. There was no distance, no time, no space . . . nothing.



I guess my appearance changed dramatically at the time, since, after we were done with the exercise, Neil started jumping up and down and pointing, exclaiming how different my face looked, saying, "You should look in a mirror!" I hadn't looked in a mirror for fourteen days. When I got home, I walked up to a full-length mirror and looked at myself and it was a deep shock to my body. It was a shock because I saw a body that I had known before, and it wasn't me! Not that my appearance had changed. The familiarity is what shocked me. In some sense, I had forgotten that I had a body. It's like the body reflected my history, my character, my ideas, my personality, all the things I had thought I was. All the things I had been being. Without thinking about it, I guess I really expected my reflection not to show up.





What did he experience? What does it mean that his body reflected his history and character? Thank You




Answer
Hi, Luke.



It's an interesting observation that the body reflects our history, our character, our personality.  These are the things that the mind holds onto continually, aren't they?  It's what I think I am - my past, my story of myself, my qualities, such as being an outgoing, likeable person or being a depressed person or being an important person or being a person who transcends things, the tools and strategies that I've learned in order to survive, to not fall into painful situations, to get what I need.



Is this not what the  mind involves itself in day and night, almost constantly?



And how can this help but be reflected in the body?  If I am sad, the shoulders droop, the eyelids droop, the eyes become watery, the stomach takes on a certain condition, the heart slows down, etc.  It's all wired together, the thoughts and the various physical parts of the body.  Sometimes when I look at an old person it seems like their problems with their body are reflections of their habits of thinking and living.  The body is no longer creative, experimental, seeking healthiness, but just goes along in its usual habit, even though that habit over the years reveals itself to be a lameness or slouching or stiffness.



This brings up questions:  Is this history and personality that we live in constantly all that there is or is there something else?  What is it like if that is let go of?  And what is this  history, this personality really?  Have I ever looked closely to see what it really comes from, how it really affects the body and the mind?  Is the mind something other than just these continual thinkings about my story?  Or is there a mindfulness that is not habitual, not history, not based on defending something, a presence of mind that is fresh and responsive and alive with what is right here and real?



When you sit, you can raise these questions if they are real for you at the time and then, not trying to answer them with what you know or imagine, let the question go and just let what is really going on be seen, felt, heard, moment by moment.  In this very simple presence the nature of our way of thinking is revealed for what it really is.  Good is revealed as good and unhelpful is revealed as unhelpful.  Maybe something about how we live is seen for what it is for the first time in our lives.



This listening and seeing without knowing, without a purpose other than letting life reveal itself, is already the opening into a new way of being.   In this, the body does take on a different configuration.  It may not be visible to others or dramatic, but there is an ease that is felt when defending my story has given way to being with what is really here, with interest. To being here.



This inquiry into what one is when the story, the personality, time pressure, fear are not dominating the mind is a bottomless question.  There is no dark habit that cannot come into the light and melt away if this goalless presence is given enough chance to operate.



You can take a comfortable posture. Don't be too concerned that there is a correct posture.  It's helpful to be somewhat upright, so you don't get too sleepy, but it is fine to sit in a chair or on a couch.  It is for you to experiment with.  You ask what to focus on, but why focus? Why not by open to the sounds, the light, as well as noticing what is happening internally?  Why not discover what is really going on, even if it questions your ideas about yourself?



Maybe it is helpful to try to include the awareness of the body along with whatever else is coming into awareness.  When we're lost in thought, we imagine we're accomplishing marvelous things but the fact is that the awareness of the body is usually gone or limited during that thinking.  Since you are interested in what the body is when it is free of history and personality, when it is flexible and healthy, it may help to include the body as an instrument of presence.  You will sometimes realize that you have been lost in that.  In that momemt of realizing, it will be clear that the body had been lost and now is back.  See if you can let presence come from the body itself, grounded in the belly.  But don't make a big thing of it.   Just see if you can find what is natural.



These are just some suggestions.  It is for you to discover for yourself, but there are so many "techniques"  that one can get caught up in instead of just being with what is here.  What can be simpler than that?



I wonder where you live.  There are some places you can go to meditate with others where the emphasis is on this simple presence.  There are also 7 day retreats, which allow you to go deeper into this.



I don't know if I've addressed your questions.  Please let me know if I wasn't clear about something or if you have some other questions.  I will be interested to hear how this unfolds for you.  It is possible for us to talk on the phone or email each other directly if that would be helpful.



Best,



Jay Cutts