Wednesday, March 3, 2010

DNA and third eye

Question
Yes i am feeling things similar to what you felt. How do I find the answers to my questions that come from within. Like "Who am I" "What is my purpose". I have recently been questioning everything about human society. Especially religion. I actually feel like a great philosopher whose name was Martin Luther during the European Renaissance. He questioned why the church took power and controlled everything. What are your beliefs about god and religion and how do i find the answers to my inner questions?

-------------------------



Followup To



Question -

Hi, my name is Pratik. I am 14years old. I am an Indian living in the United States. I have recently been tremendously interested in spirituality. I have been a having those questions in my head saying "Who are you", "What is your purpose in this Universe". Can you tell me how to activate my 12strands of DNA and how to activate my third eye for telepathic strength. All kinds of suggestions and information is welcome as I am striving for enlightenment and realization. ThankYou.



Answer -

Hi, Pratik.



Thanks for your note.  I can't tell you anything about activating your DNA.  As far as I know, my DNA takes care of itself!  Thank goodness, it is one less thing to worry about taking care of.



I remember being 14 and feeling at times that there was something special about the world that adults didn't seem to see.  I felt an aliveness, an intelligence, a certain presence, and yet at other times just felt lots of confusion and felt that I was being pulled in many directions.  I don't  know if you feel anything like that.  I also remember feeling that I didn't know a single human being who seemed to be experiencing what I was.  Maybe a few special people here or there who seemed to understand me.



Have you ever watched a little baby?  My girlfriend and I have a new grandbaby, three months old.  She is so alive, just moving along with what ever is happening - one minute smiling like an angel and the next minute red and screaming and then the next minute amazingly peaceful and so on.



As our minds get more and more complex with thinking, we seem to lose the ability to live in such a direct way.  And then we think more and more about why we are dissatsified and confused and torn and afraid and feeling so separated.  But thinking just makes it worse.



Instead it is possible to explore what it is just to be with what is right here, now, without worrying about knowing anything or accomplishing anything.  If this interest in just simple, natural being starts to grow, you may discover from time to time that the simple life you were born with has not gone away and you will discover how thinking hides it and you will naturally come to live in that simple presence more.



Do not worry about whether you do or don't develop certain qualities, such as a third eye. Enjoy the abilities that you have.  But if your mind opens to the simplicity of this wide world, you can see that the rain rains equally - the suns shines equally - on those who have no special qualities and those who do.



You may well question everything about human culture, all of the assumptions and grand teachings.  Can you sense that it is all like a dream, really?  Sitting here in my cabin, the cool air moves over the skin, the sunshine comes faintly through the window, the breathing moves the body, a subtle sadness for the human difficulties plays around the tear ducts of the eyes and there is a small joy of talking with another human being about the simplicity of this world, which can be discovered and rediscovered by quiet listening without any special purpose, discovered by anybody, not someone special.



Even spiritual concern becomes something very complicated and grandiose in the mind of thinking, so be careful with the ideas that you read about.  Test everything out in simple listening.  Test what I am saying too until you know clearly for yourself what simple listening is.  Or maybe it is better to say to discover what is NOT simple listening, what covers it up, what makes it into something special.



You might read some books by Toni Packer, a woman I have gone to retreats with for many years.  You can review her web site at http://www.springwatercenter.org.  Retreats are a wonderful way to enter into this simple presence of being.  If you have an adult who will go with you, you could attend at Springwater.  There have been other teenagers who have come with their parents.



Please let me know if I have not been too clear about some things or if you have some other questions about what I've said, or if I haven't understood what you were asking.  Also, please feel free to keep in touch about your exploration of simple being and of sitting quietly.  You can write back here or I can give you a direct email address.



It was nice to hear from you.  Best wishes to you.



Jay Cutts


Answer
Hi, Pratik.



I'm glad to hear back from you.  I appreciate what you are saying.  It is quite true.



With the question "What is my purpose?" a good way to explore this is really to ask, "What is it like if I set aside purpose" or "Is purpose necessary?".  Then you can try sitting quietly with no purpose and see what it is like.  Maybe you'll find it almost impossible.  In trying to sit quietly there may be a lot of restlessness or mental chatter.  We don't know how to be without purpose so it is not easy at first.



We are full of purposes and significances and goals, which sometimes seem quite lofty and important and then at another time seem almost laughably meaningless.  And yet we keep thinking and thinking "I must have a purpose.  There must be meaning to my life."  Can this thinking be quiet and just listen right here?  It may seem impossible but it can be explored.  Just listen, just listen.  You may at some moment forget completely about purpose and just hear something or see something very new, something that is completely free of purpose and yet very fully alive.



Many philosophers are reluctant to let go of their questions or perhaps they are not able to.  In some ways the answer to every question comes in listening quietly, in letting go, in entering into the simplest possible way of being in this quiet moment - not forever, because forever is an idea - just this moment itself.



Purpose is helpful if we need to gather food or fix a computer or write a letter.  But it becomes a habit and we forget what freedom from purpose is. We have to discover it again and again in silent listening.



At your young age you are faced with all the great possibilities of humanity - learning about power, philosophy, business, family - all the marvels of civilization.  And yet you are also very close to the memory of the freedom from all of these things, the ability to drink in this moment free of all of humanity's craziness.  If there is a meaning to our life, it is to relearn to let go of all the complications of humanity and rediscover the simplicity of the world.



If you set your mind to this, you will discover that everything is taken care of, that the world is one living presence from which nothing is separate.  This is the beginning of learning to live with humanness but not limited to humanness.  But this has to be your own discovery.



My beliefs about God and religion?  They are just beliefs, just ideas, images.  To see what is in front of my own eyes, these beliefs have to become transparent, to let go, to die.   And if I see what is in front of my eyes, if I hear with my eyes and see with my ears, then the world is complete, no problem.  No need for theories.



If the world is seen clearly this way, all of the problems that religion tries to deal with are exposed completely as not problems.  But again this has to be explored for oneself.



With a great question one can either pursue it with thinking, in which case it gets more and more convoluted and becomes more and more of a problem.  Or one can go the other way - listen right here without thinking because the question points to something beyond thinking, something beyond the fleeting human difficulties.



Thinking is our habit.  Thinking is who we think we are.  It is our autopilot.  So it is not so easy to go the other way and just listen.  The body/mind does not find it easy at first.  So don't give up to easily.  When one sees that thinking and thinking and thinking lead to nothing but trouble, power struggles, confusion, fear, separation, then there is no choice but to go the other way wholeheartedly, even if it takes some new energy.



Does this address your questions a little?  I will look forward to hearing back from you.  You can also write me at orders at cuttsreviews dot com.



Jay