Monday, March 1, 2010

First time untrained meditation strange experience

Question
I am a very spirtual and worldly person, i have always had buddhas and vishnus in my house, i a caucasion and raised christian, but feel i am now just a spirtual being.  THough i have never had formal training on meditation and only practiced it once or twice beofre, i have a question about my last meditation about oh 15 minutes ago....



i lit candles, sat in a cirle of petals, and began breathing in my 3 chambers of air, while listening to chakra meditation music.



I have never experienced anything as powerful and eerie as that lest meditation, I feel deep into Nirvana, my body became very warm, my breating grew deep and then it seemed like from my lower back someone was pulling my body slowly down to lie flat and enter into a deeper state of bliss, at that point all i remember is feeling a cool breeze over my body, and i awoke after 10 minutes feeling alive and pain free...



OK, what is that?!?!!  Is this normal???  and if it is i am signing up for meditation classes!



I have NEVER in my life felt anything like that!  I have bad asthma, and my lungs feel so free and clear, normally with my asthma, i cannot lie on a hard surface on my back but i feel blissful...its now 5:45am.....i tryed the meditation just to see if it would help me to sleep....I am off to bed now, so please advise me on my experience and would signing up for a meditation class be good!?


Answer
Glen, Thank you for your question.



What a wonderful experience!



Even without much training, you have spontaneously experienced transcending, diving within to experience unbounded awareness. Since this was so new, and some blockages exist, the experience ended with loss of consciousness (sleep). The whole thing was marvelous. This is what everyone ought to experience, twice a day, every day. Just think how wonderful life would be, as this charming and unbounded experience starts to leak into daily life.



The problem with meditation classes is that there is no way to know whether they will teach transcending or merely sitting and enjoying some nice but superficial experience of thinking or breathing.



I recommend learning Transcendental Meditation (www.tm.org), which is pure transcending, diving within. Some people find the $2500 instruction fee (USA) prohibitive, and if you are one of them, take a look at Natural Stress Relief meditation. At $47, everyone can afford it. Explore www.NaturalStressReliefUSA.org for all the details and to order.



David Spector

President

Natural Stress Relief/USA