Monday, March 1, 2010

General Info

Question
I am just getting into mediation seriously for the first time in my life after having started and stopped numerous times. First, I am having trouble with sitting and aliging my posture. I have old sports injuries in my shoulders that make it difficult to sit upright. Is it okay to lay down and if not what is another way?? ALso, I have had panic attacks for about three years now. I am on medication for it and they are generally controlled. However, I have recently noticed that as I enter deeper levels on mediation I get panicky and find myself wanting to snap back into it, for lack of a better term. What do you think causes this? Thanks for any advice!


Answer
Hi, Laura.



As far as your posture, you can certainly experiment.  The only problem with lying down may be that you may get sleepier than you would otherwise.  I sit a lot on a couch or in an easy chair, where there is some support for my back.  You can also support your hands so that your arms don't pull down on your shoulders too much.  I sometimes use a cushion or even a rolled up sock under my hands.



I'm not sure if you what you are saying with "wanting to snap back into it".  Do you mean that there is a tendency to  want to fall back into panicking?



You ask what I think causes this. Let's see if it's possible to look more closely at what "this" is, what is this phenomenon that we are calling panic.  I think in asking what causes this we usually are saying, "Here is something  troublesome.  Is there a way for it to change?"  Of course , the doctors or psychologists may have some useful insights.  But the most direct way to find out if something can change is to see, hear and feel it openly, vulnerably.  First, finding out what it really is.  In fact, this openness to a habit pattern itself induces change.  Does this make sense to you or not?



If the panic comes up, you are the only one who can decide whether the body needs to be protected from it by stopping meditation or taking more medication or something else that is known to short circuit the panic.  There are certainly times when avoiding the panic may be the best thing for the poor nervous system. There may be other times, though, when it is possible to let this "panic" reaction come into the light of silent, caring observation.



You can wonder what triggers it.  Is it an image, a memory , an auditory memory, a whole body feeling?  Is it something that happens too fast to catch.  Reactive patterns seem to be old circuits that can be triggered by something - some sensory input that then triggers some memory - and suddenly the entire pattern is active with however it affects the body, the nerves, the thoughts and emotions, etc.  Some patterns, when they are activated, can be very draining and painful and very resistant to any "strategies" for getting them over faster.  And then every time the pattern "runs", there is added to it the memory of the pain and discomfort and confusion, so that there comes to be an aversion added on top of the original traumatic pattern.



This is a description but it can be noticed very directly for oneself.



The amazing thing is that interest in really opening to this process, of not resisting but rather of really finding out what it is, of giving the whole thing room to reveal itself, this interest - what can we say? - it touches the pattern with affection.  This is healing and revealing.



Who is panicked about what?  Most reactive patterns believe that they are protecting something vital - from harm, from pain, from death.  Even if there is no sense of what the panic thinks the danger is, I can look carefully, when panic comes up, to see if there is any danger right now that can be seen, heard, felt, smelled, sensed.  And it is also possible then to ask if there is any danger perceived right now by thinking.  Of course I can drum up any endless number of things that are dangerous but to ask, is this really a danger right now as I sit here?  Is this enough of a danger that I need to panic about it right now?  Maybe I will need to worry about it later, but can it be put aside for right now while I'm sitting, listening?



These are just some things that come to mind about panic.  They may or may not apply to your situation.  But why not experiment, always being able to come to rest in just listening, feeling, seeing what all is broiling in the body/mind and at the same time - and perhaps this is the important part - to notice that there can be a spaciousness around the reaction, that reaction is not all there is.  The listening, feeling, noticing comes out of a spaciousness, a vulnerable willingness to be with what is.



I'll stop here with this.  Please let me know if I have not been clear about something or if my wording has been confusing.  Also, I may not exactly have understood what you are asking about.  Or you may have more questions.  So feel free to write back.  We can also talk on the phone if that works better for you.



Best wishes!



Jay Cutts