Monday, March 1, 2010

Mantra

Question
I have practicising TM on and off for the past 15 years and find it very

beneficial. My question might sound silly but I hope you can help me. When I

first learned the technique I wrote the Mantra down just to be sure I was

doing it correctly. I still have the piece of paper I have it written on and have

kept it secret and normally in a place where no one would find it. I often

worry that maybe by complete chance somebody came across this sheet and

saw my mantra. Would this affect it? I have always been careful to keep my

mantra secret but regret writing it down now. Am I being silly?


Answer
Noel, Thank you for your question.



No, I don't think you are being silly.



The purpose of a mantra is to serve as a vehicle for transcending thought. That means that the mantra leads the mind inward toward quieter thinking. The only thing that prevents the mind from experiencing the source of all thoughts, a field of pure consciousness without any thought at all, are the blockages which we call stress. Transcending clears away stresses by bringing a deep state of rest to the nervous system and the entire body.



Since the mantra is so useful to us, and so intimate to our life, it is important to safeguard it from superficial use (that is, speaking it out loud or otherwise bringing it to the gross level of daily activity).



I recommend that you tear up the paper and throw the pieces into the ocean, or as close to that symbolic act as you can easily accomplish.



David Spector

President

Natural Stress Relief/USA