Saturday, March 6, 2010

Posture

Question
Dear brother,

It is preferred in scriptures to sit straight as if our chest,neck and head are in a straight line so that it will improve our spirituality. But when i do this i feel mild backpain and discomfort though my mind enjoys this. Give me some tips to sit in that posture.

Urs brotherly,

Sendhil


Answer
Dear Sendhil,



The body is a sensitive thing and has its own requirements.  I suggest that you treat the body gently.  Try to find a way to sit that is comfortable so that you don't have pain.  I personally often sit on a couch, where my back can be supported.



When the mind is manifesting difficult patterns of thinking, the body will take on postures that reflect this.  If we fight against this, there is pain to the body.  However, if we listen carefully to the body, and let it try to find its own comfort, we are not adding additional conflict and pain to what is already going on.



I can tell you from my own experience that it is possible to  enter deeply into simple presence while seated on a couch or even lying down, though lying down may cause some extra sleepiness.



I hope this helps.  Please let me know how it goes.



Jay