Monday, March 1, 2010

Questions

Question
I am just getting into mediation seriously for the first time in my life after having started and stopped numerous times. First, I am having trouble with sitting and aliging my posture. I have old sports injuries in my shoulders that make it difficult to sit upright. Is it okay to lay down and if not what is another way?? ALso, I have had panic attacks for about three years now. I am on medication for it and they are generally controlled. However, I have recently noticed that as I enter deeper levels on mediation I get panicky and find myself wanting to snap back into it, for lack of a better term. What do you think causes this? Thanks for any advice!


Answer
Laura, Thank you for your question.



I assume that you mean "meditation" rather than "mediation".



It is better to sit rather than lie down, because we are used to falling asleep when we lie down. Lying down therefore tends to make the mind dull or drowsy. It might be best to prop yourself up with pillows so you are upright but comfortable.



When the mind reaches a deeper or quieter level of functioning, the body naturally follows. This allows the nervous system to repair itself from damage cause by stress. Your feeling of panic may be a form of stress release.



The best advice I can give you is to visit my website (www.nsrusa.org) and read about my Natural Stress Relief self-learning materials. They answer lots of questions and give guidance for Natural Stress Relief, a spontaneous and natural form of deep meditation. Once you learn NSR, we can explore ways we can modify your practice to deal with the panic attacks.



Note: be sure to see a psychiatrist or other trained medical professional about the panic attacks. Meditation is not a substitute for medical treatment.



Good luck!



David Spector

President

Natural Stress Relief/USA