Monday, March 1, 2010

Questions

Question
I am just getting into mediation seriously for the first time in my life after having started and stopped numerous times. First, I am having trouble with sitting and aliging my posture. I have old sports injuries in my shoulders that make it difficult to sit upright. Is it okay to lay down and if not what is another way?? ALso, I have had panic attacks for about three years now. I am on medication for it and they are generally controlled. However, I have recently noticed that as I enter deeper levels on mediation I get panicky and find myself wanting to snap back into it, for lack of a better term. What do you think causes this? Thanks for any advice!


Answer
Laura, people meditate lying down, walking, even while jogging. IMHO any teacher who tries to push a single method is just laying a head trip. As for your panic attacks, or tendency to feel panic, I've met people who've experienced this but am certainly no expert on it. A limited and carefully monitored meditation might give you a better perspective as to why you have them, but I strongly suggest doing that under the supervision of a professional psychoanalyst, counselor or psychiatrist (I say this with all good intentions). Don't go it alone.