Monday, March 1, 2010

third eye meditation

Question
for quite some time i have been practicing 3rd eye meditation at night to get

myself to sleep after i wake up around 2 or 3 in the morning. Thati is the only

reason i use it. Well, i have been doing this for so many years and have

experienced the light the dark the colors the sounds etc. the strangest thing

lately is the actually body of someone usually a man that presents himself

usually hugging me from behind. It has happened many times how and now i

actually speak and ask for a name. I get a response as well. This only happens

when i am in bed and it is not a dream because i am totally aware of what is

happening. WHAT is this? I have been reading about this sort of meditation

and angels and was told to go ahead and ask questions of these spirits. They

actually answer, but in a very muffled tone. Can you give me any insight?  In

order for this to occur i must do the 3rd eye meditation and then i go into a

trance with sounds, colors etc. I have just decided I need to share this

because my friends think i have lost my mind. I am not uncomfortable with

this happening because i can make it go away at any time. I am just

enchanted.


Answer
Hi, Terri.



I understand what you are talking about and have had similar things happen.



When this happens to me, I'm not so much concerned with whether there is some real entity "out there" and learning its story, because when I've followed that up, I usually find that it was my own imagination filling it all in anyway.  Sometimes I've followed the story that comes out when I do that and I have always found if I stick with it, that it becomes contradictory and just keeps sort of unfolding in illogical ways and just becomes really entwined with who I am at that moment.  So I don't believe any more that it is some particular spirit or person communicating some "real world" information to me.



But I do find that whatever imagery is unfolding is communicating something about my own feelings and patterns and nervous system, so I just let it unfold and listen to it and try to let go of manipulating it too much.  I just take it as new information coming from that presence which is beyond my "personal" information.  When it is done, I like to return to just unknowing listening, kind of reach out into the space around me into the area in which my thoughts and sensations don't really reach.  It seems like this is where wisdom, insight and compassion really come from, whether there is some particular experience like you described that is touching me or no particular experience, just being in touch directly with this open presence that is all around.



When I do that right now, I can also say that that open presence moves right through what I had called the "inside" in the paragraph above.  So now there is not an inside or outside, just open, sensitive presence everywhere.  And I notice that when I start thinking about making an interesting experience of it, that open space starts to close up again.



You asked "what is this" and right now I can say I don't want to make a knowable thing out of it, because when I start thinking about that, it closes down.  So I just stay with everything that is here, open and listening and not knowing.  



Usually we are wrapped up in what we think of as our lives and we don't experience this.  Then when the mind is somehow open, like at night half asleep, something may touch our cocoon, like the feeling you described.  Maybe the most open way to respond is just to listen with a still mind and see if there really is a boundary between "out there" and "in here" or if it is possible to let go of being isolated and defended and see if it is possible to open up lovingly and unknowingly and unconditionally to the whole world.



Well, thanks for sharing your experience.  If you have some other comments or questions, I'd be happy to hear back from you.



Best,



Jay