Sunday, February 28, 2010

Asking for an advice

Question
Dear Palbar,



I am 25. As a spiritually and creatively oriented person, I am deeply interested in meditation. I see it as a way to enlightenment, inner peace, creativity and inspiration. In meditation I seek improvement of intuition, I seek imagination, as well as relief from anxiety. It all started two weeks ago with the Silva method, after I bought the book about his UltraMind ESP system. I read about the different states of consciousness and how we can reach alpha and theta through meditation. I also read about Zen meditation and it really appeals to me.

One of my problems is that I am not sure when I reach alpha and when I reach theta. After closing my eyes and counting, I usually get more relaxed. Later, especially if I don't focus on anything such as counting, I start to lose orientation about my body and about outer voices, and unexpected images, ideas, sentences start to flash through my mind - I need 15 or 20 minutes to reach this. I think this is the fascinating state I should reach, but it is difficult to keep myself in it. If I count my breaths as Zen meditation says I should do in the beginning, it is like I am too awake and cannot reach it (or maybe I need half an hour). If I stop counting and simply breath as if I am going to sleep, this state eventually comes after several minutes, but the problem is that it is hard to stay in it for longer periods - there is possibility to fall asleep.

My question is: Is this the theta state, am I doing well if not, how should I proceed to enter this state for longer while keeping awareness?


Answer
The study of Zen is the study of losing the "I am special mind".  When you lose the "I am special mind" you enter a state free from subject and object.  This is a state of love without condition.  



Whether you experience alpha or theta those are changing conditions.  To recognize the unchanging wisdom is freedom.  SO do you want a worldly practice or do you want to merge in freedom?  



Palbar