Friday, February 26, 2010

eyes closed

Question
Hi. In one of you previous answers you say:



Falling asleep could mean several things: 1) you're very tired or 2) your meditation is bringing to the surface issues needing to be addressed but you are not ready to acknowledge.



Could you please give an example of point two?  I always fall asleep when try to meditate lying with eyes closed.  I've even tried doing it in early morning.  thanks


Answer
Hello Lemains,



Thank you for your question. To answer your question, let's use an example. Many of us have a particular image of ourselves in how we believe others perceive us in the world. We believe we're kind, funny, outgoing when in actuality the reality of how we are perceived by others can be very different. When others perceive us differently than we perceive ourselves there is an inconsistency. Somewhere there is a breakdown in our being truly authentic with ourselves and the outside world.



In this example, say I have a lot fear in my life. I fear other people but I present in my mind that I am not. I do everything within my power to present a message of independence, not needing anyone and a don't mess with me attitude. Then all of a sudden I start seeing my circle of friends and family getting smaller and smaller each day. I then take this issue into my meditation. When I do there is a part of me that is still not yet ready to acknowledge that deep down I am scared of people. So I block out that truth by falling asleep. Falling asleep, to this point, often is a factor of not wanting to see the truth that is being presented in the moment.



When we make a concerted effort to address illusions, which is the point here, we begin to open and expand. That expansion will ultimately allow you to meditate in a way that brings clarity rather than consistent blockages. Having said that breaking through illusions is a lifelong endeavor which means we are not done when we have negotiated one block. You may find once you get through one there is a period where it becomes quite effortless to meditate only down the line to come upon another obstacle/illusion to negotiate. In this process, remember to be patient with yourself with a commitment to continuing your practices. You will from that place make the process easier (not to be confused with easy) on yourself. I hope this has been helpful. Feel free to ask any additional questions you may have. Be well.



Regards,

Coninyah B. Dew L.Ac., M.S.O.M.

Acupuncture Stress and Pain Management Practices