Sunday, February 28, 2010

Progress?

Question
Hi, I have been meditating for a couple of years now. The technique I learned is to focus on my lower belly and attempt to concentrate on the gentle sensations of my breath as I inhale, retain the breath, exhale and hold again in a ratio of 1:1:1:1 (or something like it).  When my concentration moves from my breath I gently focus again on the area just below my naval. This is all I do during meditation.  I was told not to worry about doing it 'right' and that sitting with eyes closed was bennefitial in itself, even without any intentional 'meditation'.



I used to think I was making some sort of progress. I used to feel all kinds of sensations during meditation and when I finally emerged I would feel deeply relaxed and almost as though I had smoked cannibis.  I'm not sure if this was a good sign but it felt glorious and was a good incentive to continue.  



These days I feel a bit like I have lost contact with what I had then.  I seem to loose concentation and get caught up in thoughts more than I used to and that 'stoned' feeling has almost gone.  I'm not sure whether I should interpret this as progress (having realised a restless mind that was there all along) or as a step back (having lost the concentration I had previously).



Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Mark


Answer
On the inhale you can imagine energy going from the back of your 2d chakra up the spine and over the head into the third eye. While you are imagining the energy moving, say "So". Then on the exhale imagine the energy going back down in the opposite direction. While the energy goes back, say "Hum".