Friday, February 26, 2010

Observing thoughts 2.

Question
Thanks for your answer James, but I already knew what you told me, you told me what I need to do, but what I am wondering on is HOW to do it. For example you mentioned that I need to pay attention to the space between my thoughts. I am unsure of what are my thoughts, and what is not, also where they are, and how to find them ( be aware of them ).  



I don't know how to observe my thoughts, because I don't know where they are. Basically I don't know how to detach myself from them because of the reasons listed above, (tht i cant find them etc.) And btw, observing your thoughts would mean that you can "hear" them inside yourself?



Looking forward to your answer


Answer
Dear John



Imagine that your mind is a voice in your head. When you think, you "mentally" hear the thought. It seems that your ego doesn't want you to detach from it because that would be the beginning of self-control over the ego. A thought is a mental statement like "this is stupid", "I am hungry", "that is pretty", "how do I meditate", "should I ask an expert", etc etc. Whatever is going through your mind is your thoughts.