Sunday, February 28, 2010

Progress?

Question
Hi, I have been meditating for a couple of years now. The technique I learned is to focus on my lower belly and attempt to concentrate on the gentle sensations of my breath as I inhale, retain the breath, exhale and hold again in a ratio of 1:1:1:1 (or something like it).  When my concentration moves from my breath I gently focus again on the area just below my naval. This is all I do during meditation.  I was told not to worry about doing it 'right' and that sitting with eyes closed was bennefitial in itself, even without any intentional 'meditation'.



I used to think I was making some sort of progress. I used to feel all kinds of sensations during meditation and when I finally emerged I would feel deeply relaxed and almost as though I had smoked cannibis.  I'm not sure if this was a good sign but it felt glorious and was a good incentive to continue.  



These days I feel a bit like I have lost contact with what I had then.  I seem to loose concentation and get caught up in thoughts more than I used to and that 'stoned' feeling has almost gone.  I'm not sure whether I should interpret this as progress (having realised a restless mind that was there all along) or as a step back (having lost the concentration I had previously).



Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Mark


Answer
Hi, Mark.



I would question the overall value of concentration.  While of course concentration is helpful in many of our daily activities and in certain kinds of excercising of the body and mind, focusing attention on a particular sensation (or mental image, as is done in some kinds of meditation) seems to me to result in excluding other kinds of sensation and awareness, including sensitivity to the states of mind.



What is of value to me is a meditative awareness that allows whatever exists at this moment - inside and outside - to simply be revealed.  It is a simple presence that is not goal oriented, not associated with any particular part of the body or nervous system.  It is a presence that doesn't know what to do but directly reveals what is.



I wonder what progress means to you.  In a very direct way this simple presence is - moment to moment - all that there is.  It is the beginning and the end of meditative work, the beginning and the end of the whole universe.  If it is possible for the concepts of time and progress to let go in this moment, this ultimate completeness of each moment is seen directly.  In a way the simple seeing of the restless mind, along with the feel of cool air on the skin, the movement of the body as the breath rises and falls, the sound of the fan, this simple revelation of the restless mind is enough - nothing to do about it, nothing to fix or progress toward.



Looking at things in another way, we can say that there are deep concerns about ourselves personally, about humanity in general, about the world, that do not go away just because we have sat quietly for a while.  These things motivate us to look more deeply, more carefully, more sensitively.  To devote more time to quiet listening and to carry our listening through in our daily life.  To observe how we relate to others, what drives our own actions. To become first of all transparent to ourselves, meaning seeing our internal workings more and more honestly and sensitively.  To open  more to questions and uncertainty and to yearn less for answers and progress.



So where do you stand now? It is unknowable, isn't it?  It doesn't need knowing, does it?  Is it possible to just be with the movement of one moment to the next, giving your deepest concerns a chance to come into the light of day, along with the hum of the fan, the buzz of the fly on the windowsill?



I hope this addresses your question.  It's quite possible that I haven't exactly understand what you were writing about or haven't been very clear in what I've said, so please feel free to write back and tell me more or ask me to be more clear about certain things.  I will also be interested to hear what comes up as you sit with everything in a fresh way.



Best,



Jay Cutts