Saturday, February 27, 2010

panic while mditating

Question
Hello Vinod

Over the years I have done group meditation off and on with different people in different numbers. I have experienced a recurring problem and am at my wits end trying to come to an understanding about it. At some stage through the meditations I have experienced a hot flush which seems to start and radiate out from the chest to the rest of the body and head. As soon as it starts a feeling of claustrophobia begins which then is followed by a feeling of panic and then a coughing fit. I have in the past managed to overcome all this but recently during a meditation these experiences were so strong I had to leave the room and go outside into the cooler air.It felt as though the room and the people in it were all pressing in on me and the panic was unbearable.Needless to say that I am now close to being afraid of going anymore but I am benefitting too much from it to give it up. Is this something to do with being overwhelmed by the energies being generated within the group or is it something to do just with me personally. I would say this happens 95% of the time but I have usually managed to get through it. How I dont know but it is really starting to upset me. The teacher said I needed to ask my guides for protection around myself which I haven't ever done only because I never thought It was really necessary during meditation. The teacher calls in protection for the circle and I always thought that was all you needed. Any light you can shed on this problem would be greatly appreciated as I have been feeling very apprehensive about going back.

Kind Regards

Ellen


Answer
Thanks for the question Ellen.



I do not know what kind of meditation you are doing. So I am not able to understand what can cause a panic.



Every individual is different, your subconscious mind may have lot of fixed ideas which can create uneasy feeling during meditation.



As your teacher recommended I would ask you to seek your guides to help.Before meditation, visualize the your front, sides, and back of your body is protected by white light.



Focus your attention 3 inches above the head and visualize a blue light.



Continue your normal meditation practice after this.



This should help you to relax and keep meditating.



Let me know if you need any positive affirmations or prayer for you.



Reards,

Vinod